“I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”Exodus 20: 2-3
Do you have any other gods beside the God of the Holy Bible? God has revealed Himself to us in the pages of Holy Scripture. If you are worshipping a god other that the One and only God of the Holy Bible than you are worshipping an idol.
An idol is anything you worship or honour more than God. An idol is anything you put before God. When troubles and trials come your way who do you flee to for comfort and sanctuary? The Bible says, “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man” in Psalm 118:8.
Many people today fashion a god in their minds that is not in keeping with Scripture and call that “Christianity”. We ought to form our beliefs about God from Scripture even if they are not popular. We are to renew our minds by the reading of God’s Word and not to be conformed to the pressures of the world. We must be daily refined and transformed into godly men and women.
Read these questions careful. Answer them honestly and to the best of your knowledge.
1) Have you transgressed God’s commandment by placing any other thing before God?
2) Have other things crowded your worship of God?
3) Do you worship and serve God only if other things are done?
4) Has your job or financial position became of god?
5) Have you voted or supporter a politician that promotes ungodly principles and values?
6) Does your relationship with the world matter more to you than God?
7) Do you shy away from speaking out against sin when it is not popular?
8) Do you spend more time on the internet, watching TV and other meaningless things than reading the Holy Bible?
9) Do you seek the approval and praise of man over God?
10) Are you daily coming before God for your needs?
Answer these questions honestly. Remember that an idol is anything in your life that means more to you than following, worshipping and severing God. An idol is not always a wooden or medal image.